Baking for vegan? Got allergies? What to do about the egg part of the recipe?
|What to do when you CAN'T use these?|
I needed to make some egg-free cupcakes for a birthday party recently, and after perusing many options and suggestions, I decided to try a few different versions to see how they would turn out. I did NOT want to make them from scratch, if at all possible. It turns out you don't have to!
The egg in the recipe serves two major purposes. It BINDS the ingredients together, and it helps it to RISE. Both of these features can be bypassed using other ingredients.
Steps to EASY Egg-Free Cake/Cupcakes!
1. Duncan Hines Cake Mix- look at the ingredients, there's no egg and no milk in the box.
2. Substitute for the egg binding. There are many options here:
* Applesauce, use 1/4 cup per egg
* Banana, use about 3 tablespoon per egg
* Sweet Potato, about 3 tablespoons per egg
3. Make sure it will rise high. Substitute the water with soda of complementary flavor to your cake mix (stay away from diet soda).
* Sprite for yellow cake
* Cola for chocolate cake
* Ginger-ale for carrot cake
4. Follow mixing and baking directions as you would normally.
4. Frost with ready made frosting, again it's easy to find egg-free (and milk-free if you need it) varities. Duncan Hines is a good place to start, but there are others as well.
Et Voila! Party cakes or cupcakes are ready to go!
I made three different varieties and they all turned out wonderfully.
Yellow cake mix + Sprite + Applesauce = YUMMY! I thought this version tasted the best and was easiest to make, since the applesauce is ready to go. The texture of the cupcakes were perfectly light and moist. Frosted with chocolate frosting, delicious.
Chocolate cake mix + Coke + Banana = Indulgent! Extra step to mash and measure out the banana, and I could taste the banana and cola a bit more than I had expected. Still very tasty chocolate-y treat. Frosted with fudgy chocolate frosting.
Carrot cake mix + Ginger ale + Sweet potato = Spiced Goodness! The work to cook and mash the sweet potato was definitely the hardest part. The taste combination worked wonderfully. Frosted with cream cheese frosting.
My recommendation would be to use the applesauce because it's easiest (no prep), has light and even consistency, and doesn't add a strong taste of its own. This with the soda trick is an easy no-fail way to make your egg-free cake.
By the way, MUCH cheaper than buying from a vegan bakery. Those places were asking $3-5 per cupcake! I bet mine tasted just as good too.